Six fabulous reasons to Give Fair Trade:
- Each gift empowers farmers and artisans with dignified work, and adequate incomes to access nutrition, health care, education, etc for their families
- If all of us Give Fair Trade this year, our collective purchasing power will have an enormous impact on lifting families out of poverty
- Great Fair Trade gifts are available for everyone on your list, both kids and adults (even coworker/corporate gifts, like bags of Fair Trade coffee)
- Giving Fair Trade gifts is an easy way to shift some of your purchasing to Fair Trade.
- You will educate the person receiving the gift about Fair Trade.
- Make holiday shopping a breeze…walk into a Fair Trade shop (or online store) with your holiday shopping list and walk out with your holiday shopping complete!
“Six fabulous reasons to Give Fair Trade” provided by Global Exchange.
Why Fair Trade
Fair Trade is a partnership, which contributes to sustainable development by offering better prices, working conditions and social benefits to, producers in developing countries.
Fair Trade products are produced and traded in accordance with well-defined, universally accepted principles and practices, which, wherever possible, are monitored and verified by independent certification organizations.
Consumers can actively support Fair Trade by being thoughtful and conscious shoppers. Look for the Fair Trade labels!
HOW FAIR TRADE BENEFITS:
- Empowers producers as stakeholders in their own organization
- Empowers producers to achieve greater equity in international trade
- Provides social and environmental standards for production
- Ensures healthy living conditions and safe working environments
- Establishes a fair price for products
- Provides economic security and self-sufficiency
- Provides a steady market for handicrafts, coffee, cocoa, sugar, tea, bananas, honey, cotton, wine, fresh fruit, chocolate and flowers
- Provides access to quality agricultural and artisan items, often not available in our own hemisphere
- Allows the consumer to support social and economic justice with his or her pocketbook
- Provides a wide selection of arts and crafts which enhance our lives and increase our appreciation of other cultures
- Provides a model for long-term trade relationships, which can generate revenue to provide health clinics, education, and other services
- Provides entrepreneurial education and opportunity, to formerly disadvantaged producers
- Encourages environmentally sustainable practices in farming and use of natural resources
Courtesy of Fair Trade L.A.